The Hertie School – The University of Governance in Berlin and República offer scholarships to academics or eminent public sector practitioners who are based in Brazil and work or are interested in any field of research related to public policy or social science where collaboration with the faculty of the Hertie School promises mutually fruitful cooperation. The scholarship is a key element of the cooperation between the two institutions in research and education.
Those selected to the programme will visit the Hertie School. During their stay at the Hertie School in Berlin, scholarship holders will carry out research, outreach and/or networking activities that follows the ‘impact plan’ developed by the applicant.
As part of the stay, the Hertie School will organize an event / lecture / public debate involving the visitors’ focus that will reach out to the Berlin policy community. The practitioner may also participate in Hertie “project courses” which bring a practitioner together with a Hertie faculty member in the classroom.
República Visiting Scholars will be listed on the Hertie School´s website, will benefit from access to the Hertie library and will be provided with desk space associated with the School or with one of its research centres.
República Visitings Scholars will be supported by a member of the Hertie School faculty (´faculty sponsor`). The faculty sponsor will support the researcher in his work, helps to establish contacts within the School, to the Berlin academic community and relevant public institutions. Depending on interests, the scholar may be affiliated with one of Hertie School`s Centres of Competence. In this case they will have the chance to devote time to collaborative Centre endeavors, e.g. attending Centre events and contributing to the Center's research activities. Many school activities and seminar series are also run independent of the Centers.
Applications for visiting stays are welcome from recent Ph.D. recipients or equivalent degrees in political science, sociology or economics, university faculty members and employees of government, and research institutions who have acquired appropriate professional experience. We particularly encourage applications from women, minorities and República alumnae/alumni.
Duration of the funding
- Three months (January to March, 2022).
- The exact length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant's work schedule.
- The grant is non-renewable and non-extendable.
For the visiting stays the scholars´ travel and accommodation will be provided by the Hertie School. A lump sum of € 1000 will be provided by República. Other payments cannot be made.
Health insurance coverage is mandatory in Germany. The Visiting scholar shall present her/his corresponding home health insurance or the insurance policy taken out for the duration of the stay in Germany to the Hertie School prior to start.
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of motivation stating clearly how the visiting scholar’s work fits the Hertie School´s key research areas.
- A brief ‘impact plan’ (one-pager) that shows how the stay at the Hertie School will enhance the applicant’s research or policy activities – and how these activities will contribute to policy research or practice.
All applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com. No other method of application submission will be accepted. The application deadline is October 26th, 2021.
The Hertie School will select the visiting scholars based on the following criteria:
- Academic achievements and recent publications which must be documented in the curriculum vitae OR
- a broad and relevant professional experience related to one or more research fields of the Hertie School; AND
- convincing presentation of the envisaged, meaningful and sustainable impact of the stay.
The call is subject to restrictions related to the developing SARS-Covid-19 situation in Berlin/Germany and in Brazil.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.